I tried a couple of the recipes that came up in a search. I like the “Instant Pot Refried Beans” recipe from the Allergy Free Alaska website the best, so far.
The other recipes are worth a look because there are directions for smaller batches using only one pound of beans. Some of them also call for fewer ingredients and offer useful ingredient substitute ideas. I think using chicken broth and bacon drippings makes for better results.
|Dried pinto beans, sorted||2 pounds|
|Onion, chopped||1 ½ cups|
|Garlic cloves, roughly chopped||4–5|
|Jalapeños, seeded and chopped||1–2|
|Dried oregano||2 teaspoons|
|Ground cumin||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Ground black pepper||½ teaspoon|
|Bacon drippings||3 tablespoons|
|Chicken broth||4 cups|
|Sea salt||1–2 teaspoons|
- Wash, sort and soak the beans for 15 minutes.
- Seed and chop up the jalapeños.
- Measure out spices, broth and water.
- Rinse the beans.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients to Instant Pot.
- Cook for 45 minutes on bean/chili setting.
- Natural release for 40 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender.
- The salt is supposed to be added after cooking.
- I mistakenly added the salt beforehand the first time I tried this recipe. The beans turned out fine.
- This recipe makes enough refried beans for at least two burrito dinners for three. They taste great over rice too.